Sunday, November 1, 2009

Please Don't Learn the Hard Way About Diabetes

 Form The Pilot: November 1, 2009

Thursdays are hard for me.
Let me explain. Seven years ago, on Thursday, Nov. 7, my 12-year-old son had become so gravely ill that he had to be airlifted to Chapel Hill's UNC Children's Hospital. A week later, on Nov. 14, I was to celebrate my 46th birthday. Another seven days later on Thursday, he died.
The cause of death was septic shock due to the complications of diabetes. The irony of it all was that he died three weeks into the observance of Diabetes Awareness Month.
Now fast-forward to 2008. My wife, Phyllis, and I were introduced to an organization, the Carthage Lions Club. One of their annual fundraising events is a 3K walk called "Strides: Lions Walk for Diabetes Awareness."

We viewed this event as one more way to help get the word out about this killer. We signed up as "Team Wilson," got our pledge sponsors and even went so far as to design T-shirts with the names of all the people in our lives who had been affected by this deadly ailment. Along with my son, we listed me, our daughter, my parents, my ­mother-in-law, and a host of other relatives and friends who either were being treated or have died from the deadly, maiming complications of ­diabetes. According to the American Diabetes Association, often there are no diagnoses because the symptoms are seemingly harmless. The earlier the detection and treatment for diabetes, the less likely that someone might develop complications.
Some of the warning signs of diabetes are frequent urination, excessive thirst, extreme hunger, increased fatigue, irritability, and blurred vision. If you or a loved one has any one or more of these symptoms, see a doctor right away.
For me, it was a matter of dumb luck that I was diagnosed. I had spent the better part of the spring working long and late hours setting up distribution points around this part of the state for a special publication for my employer at the time, The Pilot. Drinking a lot of coffee and missing even more sleep had rendered me irritable as a hornet and so tired that I would have welcomed death for the peaceful rest.
But what finally sent me running to the doctor was an exchange between a coworker and me when I could not find my eyeglasses and she informed me they were on my face. And to that I replied, "Well they're not working!" As it turns out, the glasses worked fine, it was my vision, blurred by high blood sugar, that needed immediate attention.
Again, according to the American Diabetes Association, I am one of nearly 24 million Americans, or roughly 8 percent of the total population, who are diabetic. Because of a strong and effective awareness campaign, there are fewer cases are going undetected. Total diagnosed cases increased 13.5 percent from 2005 to 2007. Currently, close to 24 percent of diabetes is undiagnosed, down from 30 percent that went undetected in 2005.
It is again that time of the year for us to remember our late son and others we have lost along the way. But more important, it is time for us to renew our commitment to public awareness about diabetes.
I failed to mention that later in 2008 we were invited to join the Carthage Lions Club. So this year, Phyllis and I are involved in the planning of the Strides event. Yes, your donations are welcomed, but at the same time during this year's event, we plan to provide information and health screenings.
So come out to get checked and get informed. Besides, the exercise will work wonders on your glucose level.
This year's event will be held Saturday, Nov. 7, at the Nancy Kiser Park next to Carthage Elementary School. Registration for the 3K (approximately 2-mile) walk starts at 9 a.m. The walk is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. Funds raised will support diabetes research and assist local visually impaired.
Form a team (coworkers, friends, fellow diabetics), collect pledges, and come learn more about diabetes. Call (910) 315-1976 or e-mail carthagelions @yahoo.com for more info.
George Wilson is a former employee in The Pilot's circulation department.

No comments:

Post a Comment