Friday, October 23, 2009

Have We Fulfilled Jefferson's Vision?

From The Pilot: October 9, 2009

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Ah, Thomas, howd'ya like us now, eh? Have we fulfilled the vision? Have we exceeded your expectations? You put the word "life" in front of liberty and happiness. Was this a result of phonetic cadence, or did you itemize those three words in order of importance?
Glenn, Rush and Bill tell us not to dwell too long on such niceties, and yet, I cannot help but wonder why they're so adamant we pay no attention whatsoever to your words in lieu of their Coors Light, OxyContin and "falafel" sponge-induced talking points?
Are your words worthy of deeper investigation, Thomas? Could it be you surmised the social consideration of the care and quality of human life in our fledgling nation to be paramount above all else? Would this not make you, according to the Three Stooges mentioned above, a communist Nazi who wanted to kill my grandmother via death panel committee?
Thomas, I have objectively studied history. I am able to contextualize what you wrote so many years ago against my contemporary self-interests. Despite traditional Christian values that state I should sacrifice all I am, and all that I have, for the common good of those around me, I cannot be sure (according to Glenn, Rush and Bill) that I am right. Should I abdicate common sense for common suspicion, Thomas? Is forsaking fact and demonstrable consideration for an intense, irrational and insatiable hatred of anyone who opposes pedantry a viable course of action? Do we still need the compassion and selflessness of our Creator when we can take shelter in the bourgeois social protectionism of Fox News?
Tell me, Mr. Jefferson -- I need to know.
Timothy B. Smith
Southern Pines

No comments:

Post a Comment