Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Vote for Smith

From The Pilot: October 28, 2009

Over the past two weeks I have heard from many voters in Southern Pines asking my thoughts about the upcoming election and candidates running for my unexpired term.
I would like most to be there myself, working with the citizens, mayor and council members, as I deeply care about the issues that continue to face our town.
We have made giant leaps from the business-as-usual attitude that I found when I became involved in town government.
The outcome of this election will determine whether or not our movement forward to enhance the quality of life for all citizens was a brief blip in our town's history, or if we have established a true beginning of creating a sustainable economy that benefits all.
While both candidates are highly qualified, it is important to consider where each will fall when a decision must be made. I believe that Marsh Smith is the only candidate who will put the spirit of Southern Pines first and act to protect the qualities of life that define our town. As both a citizen and council member, I observed Marsh's enthusiasm at town meetings, even when few other citizens were there to witness his concern for Southern Pines on a wide range of issues and his commitment to finding solutions beneficial to all sides. I seldom recall seeing Mike Fields at a meeting, except in support of the PUD and to encourage the sitting council to vote on Pine Needles Village prior to swearing me in.
I know that on council Smith will work hard for Southern Pines to ­protect and preserve both the natural beauty of the area and the special character of our town.
Please vote for Marsh Smith on Tuesday.
Abigail Dowd
Portland, Maine

No comments:

Post a Comment